John A. Seafisk Knows Nothing!

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
0 comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

I actually saw snow on Wednesday. It was up in the San Gabriel Mountains, the towering peaks northeast of Los Angeles proper. Driving along the 210 (a.k.a. The Foothill Freeway), I noticed some of the peaks blanketed in white. This has been due to the recent deluge of precipitaion to fall in the southern California vicinity.

The higher-altitude Colorado-esque range beckoned me to take a closer look. So I exited Mountain Avenue and head north, on the way to Mount Baldy. As the road twisted and turned, I could see the small traces of snow on the sides of the highway. By the time I passed through Mount Baldy Village, the traces were now full-fledged snowpacks. Cars were parked along the road; families were building snowpeople and throwing snowballs. Luckily none of the snowballs were aimed at me, which is prohibited anyway, as posted on numerous national park signs usually reserved for fire danger warnings.

As I wound up, a snowplow wound down. I was one of the first cars to enjoy his road-clearing efforts. And it was black asphalt all the way to the end of the road. Another hundred feet up, I could see the edge of the cloud cover, obscuring the top of the mountain itself. Having made it as far as I could, I turned around and began my journey downward.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera on me. All the images are stored in that great analytical machines known as my brain. But it was pretty cool, believe me.

Instead, here's a story about 2 folks trying to get local TV reception to Mount Baldy Village.

Home